The Five Steps to Building your Workplace Violence Program
Step 4 – Implementing the program – communication, marketing and education
To ensure all staff are aware of your Workplace Violence Prevention Program, develop a detailed plan for implementing the workplace violence prevention program that includes marketing and communication strategies.
Staff must also be trained on measures and procedures to protect themselves. Training should be mandatory and incorporated into the orientation and regular (annual) education programs. The design of the educational and training programs should reflect the specific needs of the staff. Information from the needs assessment phase of the program development strategy should be incorporated into the design of the education and training programs. All education and training programs must be evaluated in terms of employee comprehension, quality of learning, change in practice or behaviours, and organizational performance.2
Resources for communicating and marketing your program to increase staff and public awareness:
- Workplace Communication and knowledge translation plan for workplace parties
- Communication and Knowledge Translation Guide for external communication
- Public awareness campaign
Resources for designing and implementing workplace violence prevention training:
- Training matrix
- Behavioural Education and Training Supports Inventory (BETSI tool) – Behavioural Supports Ontario (BSO) has published the Behavioural Education and Training Supports Inventory (BETSI), a comprehensive decision making framework and program inventory that will strengthen the capacity of planners to choose the most appropriate of education programs and effectively support the application of new knowledge into practice.
- PSHSA Training
Download our Workplace Violence Prevention poster for your workplace:
Click the icon in the bottom corner to add your own hospital or organization logo in support of this prevalent issue.
2. PSHSA – A guide to the Development of a Workplace Violence Prevention Program: Implementing the Program in your Workplace.